News: In order to protect the privacy of living individuals, their names, dates, locations and photos will not be displayed unless you are logged in. If you are family, you can request a new user account here.
  First Name:  Last Name:
Log In
Advanced Search
What's New
Most Wanted
  • Photos
  • Documents
  • Headstones
  • Histories
  • Recordings
  • Videos
  • Albums
    All Media
    Dates and Anniversaries
    DNA Tests
    Change Language
    Contact Us
    Register for a User Account
  • Guestbook

  • Histories

    » Show All     «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16» Next»     » Slide Show

    Description of Battle of Blue Lick: James and John McGuire

    Both James McGuire and John McGuire served under Maj. Hugh McGrary, Captain Gordon, Captain Kellar, Col. James Herod, Col. Benjamin Logan and General George Rogers Clark, along with Daniel Boone, in the final major battle of Revolutionary War.

    Description of the battle that took the life of James McGuire and in which John McGuire also served in the militia that chased after the troops that ambushed the soldiers at Blue Lick:

    James McGuire was a lieutenant who served under the same leadership and command as John McGuire.  This included Major Hugh McGrary, Col. Benjamin Logan, Col. John Todd and General George Rogers Clark along with frontiersman Daniel Boone.  James was a member of militia that attacked the enemy on the Licking River at a place referred to as Blue Lick.  James was killed in that attack.  John McGuire was a member of militia that was held back and did not reach Blue Lick in time for that battle.  He did continue in the march that continued after the enemy.

    Caldwell's expedition

    Although the main British army under Lord Cornwallis had surrendered at Yorktown in October 1781, virtually ending the war in the east, fighting on the western frontier continued. Aided by the British garrison at Fort Detroit, American Indians north of the Ohio River redoubled their efforts to drive the American settlers out of western Virginia (now Kentucky and West Virginia).

    In July 1782, a meeting took place at the Shawnee villages near the headwaters of the Mad River in the Ohio Country, with Shawnees, Delawares, Mingos, Wyandots, Miamis, Ottawas, Ojibwas, and Potawatomis in attendance. As a result, 150 British rangers under Captain William Caldwell (of Butler's Rangers) and some 1,100 Indian warriors supervised by Pennsylvania Loyalists Alexander McKee, Simon Girty, and Matthew Elliott, set out to attack Wheeling, on the upper Ohio River. This was one of the largest forces sent against American settlements during the war.

    The expedition was called off, however, when scouts reported that George Rogers Clark, whom the Indians feared more than any other American commander, was about to invade the Ohio Country from Kentucky. Caldwell's army returned to the Mad River to oppose the invasion, but the attack never came. In fact, Clark did have a large armed boat patrolling the Ohio River, but he had no plans to invade. Most of the Indians warriors returned to their homes.

    Bryan Station

    Caldwell and about 50 Loyalists, supported by 300 Indians, crossed the Ohio River into Kentucky. They meant to surprise and destroy the settlement of Bryan Station, but the settlers discovered them and took shelter within their stockade. Caldwell and McKee's force laid siege to Bryan Station on August 15, 1782, killing all of the settlers' livestock and destroying their crops, but withdrew after two days when they learned that Kentucky militiamen were on the way. Caldwell had lost 5 Indians killed and 2 wounded during his short siege.[1]

    The militia arrived at Bryan Station on August 18. The force included about 47 men from Fayette County and another 135 from Lincoln County. The highest-ranking officer, Colonel John Todd of Fayette County, was in overall command. Assisting him were two lieutenant colonels, Stephen Trigg of Lincoln County and Daniel Boone of Fayette County. Benjamin Logan, colonel of the Lincoln militia, was gathering men and had not yet arrived.

    The militiamen could either pursue the enemy immediately, to keep them from escaping, or they could more safely wait for Colonel Logan to arrive with reinforcements. Major Hugh McGary recommended waiting, but he was overruled by Colonel Todd, who shamed McGary by suggesting he was timid. The Kentuckians decided to pursued the enemy, who had 40 mile (60 km) lead on them. They set out on horseback over an old buffalo trail before making camp at sunset.


    On the morning of August 19, the Kentuckians reached the Licking River, near a spring and salt lick known as the Lower Blue Licks. A few Indian scouts were seen watching them from across the river. Behind the scouts was a hill around which the river looped. Colonel Todd called a council and asked Daniel Boone, the most experienced woodsman, what he thought. Boone said he had been growing increasingly suspicious because of the obvious trail the Indians left. He felt the Indians were trying to lead them into an ambush.

    Hugh McGary, eager to prove he was no coward, urged an immediate attack. When no one listened, he mounted his horse and rode across the ford. He yelled out, "Them that ain't cowards, follow me." The men immediately followed McGary, as did the officers, who hoped to restore order. Boone remarked, "We are all slaughtered men," and crossed the river.

    Most of the men dismounted and formed a line of battle several rows deep. They advanced up the hill, Todd and McGary in the center, Trigg on the right, Boone on the left. As Boone had suspected, Caldwell's force was waiting on the other side, concealed in ravines. When the Kentuckians reached the summit, the Indians opened fire at close range with devastating accuracy. After only five minutes, the center and right of the Kentucky line fell back. Only Boone's men on the left managed to push forward. Todd and Trigg, easy targets on horseback, were shot dead.

    The Kentuckians began to flee down the hill, fighting hand-to-hand with other Indians who had flanked them. McGary rode up to Boone's company and told him everyone was retreating and that Boone was now surrounded. Boone ordered his men to retreat. He grabbed a riderless horse and ordered his 23-year-old son, Israel Boone,to mount it. He then turned to look for a horse for himself. Israel suddenly fell to the ground, shot through the neck. Boone realized his son was dead, mounted the horse and joined in the retreat.


    Although he had not taken part in the battle, George Rogers Clark, as senior militia officer, was widely condemned in Kentucky for allowing the British force to cross the river and the inflict the Blue Licks disaster. In response, Clark launched a retaliatory raid across the Ohio River in November 1782. His force consisted of more than 1,000 men, including Benjamin Logan and Daniel Boone. The Kentuckians destroyed five unoccupied Shawnee villages on the Great Miami River in the last major offensive of the American Revolution. No battles took place, since the Shawnees refused to stand and fell back their villages on the Mad River.

    Linked toJames MCGUIRE; John MCGUIRE
    AlbumsRevolutionary War Veteran: John McGuire 1756-1737

    » Show All     «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16» Next»     » Slide Show